Dominican College Athletic Training Department
Athletic Training Department
The Dominican College Athletic Training Department is committed to providing the best health care for all Dominican College student-athletes.
The athletic training room at Dominican College is staffed by two certified athletic trainers. If you have questions for the athletics training staff, please feel free to contact us.
Samantha James, MS, ATC/L
Head Athletic Trainer
John Galvany, ATC/L
Assistant Athletic Trainer
Dominican College Athletic Department Polices and Procedures
Athletic Training Department Policies and Procedures Manual (pdf download)
Athletic Training Department Requirements For Sports Participation
Student-athletes are REQUIRED to complete ALL forms found on the MEDICAT patient portal. These forms must be completed each year that a student-athlete will participate in a sport.
These medical forms are the foundation of your medical records as a student-athlete at Dominican College. This information will be used for reference whenever a consulation for illness or injury takes place. The information contained in these forms is accessible only to the professional staff of Health Services and the Athletics Department. It will not be released without written authorization of the student or pursuant to a lawfully issued subpoena.
All forms must be completely filled out before any student-athlete will be eligible to participate in intercollegiate sports at Dominican College. You are not eligible for pre-season workouts, practices, scrimmages, tryouts or games without all the forms completed. THERE IS NO EXCEPTION TO THIS RULE.
All incoming freshmen and transfer students are required to have the orthopedic physical your first year of participation in intercollegiate sports. This examination will be completed in the AT Room by our team physicians. You will be notified by your head coach when these examinations are scheduled. This examination is free for you as a student-athlete. If you are unable to attend, you will be responsible for completing on your own and at your own expense. You will not be reimbursed for the cost.
1. Complete the Athletics Physical Form by Primary Care Physican and upload to Medicat patient portal
2. Upload Sickle Cell Solubility Test Results to Medicat partient portal
3. Complete ALL athletic forms on Medicat patient portal
4. Upload Front and Back Copy of Insurance Card to Medicat patient portal
SICKLE CELL TRAIT STATUS - NEW ATHLETES ONLY
NCAA Division II legislation mandates that all student-athletes be tested for sickle cell trait or show proof of prior test result. Copies of the official lab results must be attached to the Athletics Physical Form. Written notes from the doctor or marking their status on the physical form will not be accepted.
How to get tested for Sickle Cell Trait
1. Get tested by your primary care physician.
- If you were born in the United States, most people were tested at birth. However, mandatory testing for newborns varies state-to-state. Your pediatrician should have your test results on file.
- Get tested as part of your pre-participation physical as prescribed by your doctor.
- Student-athletes must provide a copy of the official lab results to the Dominican College Athletic Training Staff. Written notes from the doctor or marking their status on a physical form are not acceptable forms of confirmation.
2. Using the online Medivo website (cost is $32.50 and you must be 18 years old or older).
- This is a patient-centered laboratory test ordering model and the student-athlete will pay for the fees associated with this model through an easy to use and secure online system run by Quest Diagnostics and Medivo. Student-athletes can expect their results to be ready between 24-48 hours, on average.
- The student athlete will go directly to the Medivo website to generate the test order, pay for the screening test and physician service with a single $32.50 fee and print the Quest Diagnostic test requisition form. https://sicklecelltesting.medivo.com/order/am
- The student-athlete will be able to determine the most convenient Quest PSC for their blood draw by performing a search on the Medivo website as they generate the test order.
- The student athlete must take the Quest Diagnostics test requisition form to a Quest Diagnostics PSC to have their blood drawn. There are no exceptions.
- Test results will go back to Medivo for review. Medivo will post the results to their website for the student-athlete to view and print. If a test is positive, the student athlete will receive a phone call directly from a physician at Medivo as well as an email with a link to go back online to request and pay for the confirmation reflex testing ($30) through the Medivo online system. They will be directed to a new website to order the confirmation test https://confirmationtest.medivo.com/order/am
- The student-athlete may need additional blood drawn for the confirmation test. The student-athlete will then provide the results to their primary care physician and the Athletic Training Staff.
Fact Sheets, NCAA Links and Videos